Historic Pendleton Building Tours Resume Spring 2024
No need to register! Free guided tours and workshops led by
historic preservationists are open to the public.
Connection to Pendleton's beginnings
Many downtown buildings date from the tremendous economic and population growth of the late 1800s, when the arrival of railroads brought wheat farmers new markets that made some wealthy. They invested in the solid, brick buildings in the town’s commercial center—so solid that they continue to stand in large numbers.
The economic history of Pendleton that followed the pioneers is demonstrated in these building. They survive and are renewed with restoration led by Pendleton Urban Renewal over the last two decades.
Tours will include:
- History of prominent downtown buildings, including upper stories, as well as details of past and current renovations.
- Volunteers onsite to answer questions.
- MERCHANT DISCOUNTS
Buildings on the tour:
- Bond Building (Sisters Café) 1904
- Bowman Hotel Building 1905
- Christian Science Church 1926
- Frazier Office Supply Building 1889
- Masonic Hall (Great Pacific) 1887
- Oak Hotel 1904
- Odd Fellows Temple 1897
- Rainbow Café 1880
- Rivoli Theater 1900
Free guided tours start every half hour between 1 PM to 4PM
Tours start at
Heritage Station Museum:
Historic and modern photos of some of the buildings on the tour:
bowman hotel building
Bond Building (sisters Café)
masonic lodge (great pacific)
odd fellows temple
christian science church
Volunteer for a short shift in a historic building, and share Pendleton’s history with visitors!
Contact Stephanie Huffman, Pendleton Urban Renewal History Preserved Manager, at Stephanie.Huffman@ci.pendleton.or.us or 971-978-7603.
Schedule a school field trip:
Since 2003, Pendleton Urban Renewal has been funding upgrades to downtown’s historic buildings, bringing back their original designs — inside and out. Today, the area embodies our city’s fascinating early history as well as ingenious ways these buildings are now being renewed and used.
History Preserved: Pendleton is made possible in part by funding from the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, Oregon Parks & Recreation Dept
The activity that is the subject of this web page has been financed in part with Federal funds from the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. However, the contents and opinions do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Department of the Interior, nor does the mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation by the Department of the Interior.